Sunday, February 28, 2010

Submissions


Referring back to the title of my blog, Footsteps of a Writer, the most important steps to becoming a published writer is the act of submitting your work to publications. I invite you to follow me on my journey and perhaps you will discover markets for your own work.

I have three pieces currently out, in hopes of publication.

On September 25, 2009, I sent my story 'The Sacrifice' to Story Station. Their average response time is one month, but on last correspondence the publication is behind on their reading.

On September 27, 2009, I sent my story 'Blood of my Blood' to Glassfire Magazine. They have closed for submissions until further notice, but are working through the submissions already received. Their normal response time is four months, but I'm still waiting for a response.

On February 16, 2010, I sent my story 'Friends Forever' to Shock Totem. Their average response time is two months.

All the above markets are paying, ranging from one cent to five cents per word.

7 comments:

Aubrie said...

I've never submitted to those magazines. Good luck! I have a few submissions out there myself and it's always interesting to read about other author's journeys doing the same.

Anonymous said...

Your post is what actually set me in the direction of this post. When I set about to do my blog, I think to myself, what do I like to see on other's blogs. When I saw your post, and realized how interest I was in the topic, I realized that was what I need to add to my blog. A series of posts showing my progress toward publication.

So, thank you for your post.

Terry W. Ervin II said...

My two experiences with Glassfire (both ending in rejections):

A 2008 submission took 9 weeks
A 2008-2009 submission took 20 weeks

Good luck.

bclement412 said...

Good luck! My fingers are crossed for you =)

Anonymous said...

Terry, based on you waiting time, I guess I should query about the progress soon and possibly send it elsewhere. They are only putting out two issues in 2010 which lowers the likelihood of acceptance.

Bclement412, thank you for the crossed fingers.

Anonymous said...

Good luck Cher. Look forward to hearing your results with these magazines in future posts.

Anonymous said...

Susanne, Thanks.

 
Blog Directory