Monday, January 17, 2011

Reaching Your Goals

After spending three hours this morning polishing a story, preparing it for submission, I had one of those moments. “How am I ever going to get anywhere like this?”

I started stressing over the amount of time I’d just spent on this story and more doubts developed. “Why am I wasting my time?”

I decided to take a thirty minute break. I lay down on the couch, closed my eyes, and thought over the situation. I went over the list in my head of what I needed to accomplish this week and realized I was making it appear worse than it actually was. I got up, grabbed a notepad, listed each day of the week. I wrote down for each day three tasks I needed to complete.

My week’s goals were easily placed with room for extra tasks. I relaxed and went back to work.

Are you stressing over your writing? Are the doubts flying at you from all directions?

Take a moment to regroup and then jump back in. It always seems worse than it actually is.

Keep Writing.

6 comments:

Cherie Reich said...

Great advice! I've been stressing over rewriting my novel lately, since I have all this other writer stuff I need to do too. Sometimes you have to take a breather and prioritize. Lists are good too. :)

Anonymous said...

Cherie,

Thanks for stopping by. I wonder if all writers stress like this!

Best wishes,
Cher

E. Arroyo said...

I agree. Sometimes I get so wound up my mind is begging to let go. I wanted to let you know I nominated you for a Stylish Blogger Award. You can pick up the award here http://chandarawrites.blogspot.com/2011/01/stylish-blogger-award.html
THanks for sharing and the inspiration you give.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful advice, Cher! I definitely need to follow it. I started out the year going really strong, but the past several days all kinds of things are taking up my writing time. I need to make a list for each day, prioritizing things.

Anonymous said...

E. Arroyo,

Thank you so much. I'll pick it up and get it posted as soon as possible.

Anonymous said...

Susanne, It is hard. Writing is so easy to push aside and seems to be the one thing we will push aside.

 
Blog Directory