Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Voices of Fiction - Where do you get your ideas - Part Four


Welcome to another edition of Voices of Fiction.

We continue our discussion with our group of authors on where they get their ideas.

Please welcome our guests.

 A true book aficionado, L.K. Below lives to lose herself in complex new worlds and situations. From fantasy to romance and everywhere in between, she’s made it her life’s goal to enthrall herself (and others!) with captivating tales of gutsy heroines and melt-your-heart heroes. Learn more about her at www.lbelow.net or try one of her books on for size…if you dare. Website, Twitter, Facebook


Pat Andres - author of MAGGIE: A SAVANNAH DOG, Roseanna the Savannah Squirrel, LOVE FROM the ASHES, and It’s Hard to Be Crystal: Life in the Tranny Lane. Website


Pembroke Sinclair - I write fiction under the pen name Pembroke Sinclair, and I have had several short stories published. My story, “Sohei,” was named one of the Best Stories of 2008 by The Cynic Online Magazine. I have novellas and a short story collection forthcoming from Musa Publishing and eTreasures Publishing. I have two novels, Coming from Nowhere (adult, sci fi) and Life After the Undead (YA, horror), that are available from eTreasures Publishing, as well as Death to the Undead (YA, sequel to Life After the Undead), which is forthcoming. Under my real name, Jessica Robinson, from March 2008 to January 2011, I wrote scientific articles for Western Farmer-Stockman. I have a nonfiction book, Life Lessons from Slasher Films, scheduled for release in July 2012 from Scarecrow Publishing (an imprint of Rowan and Littlefield). Blog, Link, Link


Reno Charlton - I'm a full time copywriter, working from home to provide clients around the world with content for websites, magazines and other media. I am also an author, having written and published three children's fantasy novels and two short stories for older readers. The short stories were created under my pen name of Emily Ho. One of these stories, The Journey Home, won a Curtis Brown Short Story Competition. Link, Link, Link




Thea Landen writes erotic literature, frequently in a sci-fi/fantasy setting. When she's not writing, or thinking about writing, her hands and mind are occupied by either yarn crafts or role-playing games. Blog, Link, Link




Welcome Authors! It's wonderful to have you back.

Now the question is: Where do you get your ideas?

L.K. Below/Lindsay Below: Inspiration, to me, can strike in many different ways. Something as simple as a fact or saying can unravel an entire plot. I garner ideas from news stories, song lyrics, photographs, strangers I observe on the street, and so on. Sometimes I just start with one line and see where it leads me. The most annoying ideas come while I'm writing another book, because I have to fight the urge to follow them right off the bat. But the single most likely place I'll get an idea from? Dreams. Let me assure you, I have the most vivid, alluring, oftentimes-disturbing dreams. I don't know how my unconscious mind dredges up half the things it does, but I'm more than willing to accept the gift. Some dreams have potential. Some are just plain weird. Either way, a night I'm awoken from an intense dream is a happy night for me...even if it does mean I have to drag myself out of bed to write it down.

Pat Andres: Sounds cliche, I know, but my ideas come from life. I write what I know.

Pembroke Sinclair: My ideas come from everywhere: dreams, snipits of conversations I overhear, movies, other books. The world is my inspiration, and I try to listen as often as I can!

Reno Charlton: My first idea was whilst I was on holiday in the United States and I actually have no idea where it came from. I had been planning to write my first book and had taken a pad and pen to jot down ideas. I just let the ideas and characters roll and before I knew it I had a fully fledged draft. The second book was the sequel, so I already had established characters to work with although I did add new ones.

Thea Landen: I guess it's a little obvious by now that I like video games! Gaming in general seems more popular and mainstream now, but when I was growing up (especially as a girl gamer), it seemed like there was such a stereotype attached to gaming, and I thought it was quite overlooked as a valid medium for storytelling. Also, as much as I try to hide it, I'm a true romantic at heart. Even if it doesn't work that way in the "real" world, I like to think that "love conquers all" in any of the worlds I create.

Thank you all for joining us today and sharing where you find your ideas.

Readers feel free to ask questions concerning this topic in the comments. Also feel free to send questions to chergreen@chergreen.com Subject: Voices of Fiction Question, and have them answered by the participating authors in later editions.

There’s also room for more authors to participate. Drop me an email, Subject: Voices of Fiction.

(Disclaimer - Bios and answers have been posted as submitted by author) 

2 comments:

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

I love hearing how other authors get their ideas. These were fascinating answers. Thanks for sharing. The covers are all stunning.

Cher Green said...

Joylene, Me too. I'm one of those readers guilty of judging the book by its cover. :) These are eye-catchers.

 
Blog Directory