Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Voices of Fiction - Getting Readers Involved - Part Three


Welcome to Voices of Fiction.

We continue with our discussion of how to get the reader involved in the story.

Please welcome our guests.

Cara Marsi, former corporate drone and cubicle dweller, and award-winning author, is published in romantic suspense, contemporary romance and paranormal romance. She also writes short romance stories for women’s magazines. Cara and her husband share their house with a fat black diva of a cat named Killer. - Website, Twitter, Facebook

Liz Crowe’s groundbreaking romance sub-genre, “Romance for Real Life,” has gained thousands of fans and followers who are interested less in the “HEA” and more in the “WHA” (“What Happens After?”) Her books are set in the not-so-common worlds of breweries, on the soccer pitch and in high-powered real estate offices. Don’t ask her for anything “like” a Budweiser or risk painful injury. - WebsiteBlog, Facebook


Terry W. Ervin II is an English and Science teacher who enjoys writing. Gryphonwood Press published the first two novels in his First Civilization’s Legacy Series (FLANK HAWK and BLOOD SWORD) and he is busy writing the third novel in the fantasy series. In November 2012 Gryphonwood Press is slated to release Terry’s first short story collection, GENRE SHOTGUN. - Website, Blog



Children’s Picture Book author, Clara Bowman-Jahn, of “Annie’s Special Day” is living the life of her dreams an hour at a time. - Website, Etreasures



Welcome Authors! It's wonderful to have you back.

This week's question: How do you get your readers involved in the story?

Cara Marsi: The main idea is to get the readers involved. I try to give them characters they can relate to and care about. I try to write in a fast-paced way that keeps the readers turning the pages.

Liz Crowe: I take a solid plot, craft intriguing, realistic characters including secondary ones because I like nice, layered stories, and add a twist or 2.

Terry W. Ervin II: I guess I don’t worry about getting readers involved in a story. I work to tell the best story I can in the most effective manner I can and let reader involvement work itself out. Trying to manipulate reader attention or emotion is certain to be fraught with pitfalls. That’s a can of worms I don’t care to open.

Clara Bowman-Jahn: It depends on the marketing. If I am at a story telling event it is easier. I just read the book with lots of questions interspersed and talk to the kids as I read it. Otherwise I depend on parents who read it to their child. I also have a craft we do on some occasions of making a clock and talking about numbers. It just depends on the age of the children.


Thank you all for joining us today.

Readers feel free to ask questions concerning this topic in the comments. Also feel free to send questions to chergreen@chergreen.com Subject: Voices of Fiction Question, and have them answered by the participating authors in later editions.

There’s also room for more authors to participate. Drop me an email, Subject: Voices of Fiction.

(Disclaimer - Bios and photos submitted by authors.)

5 comments:

Angie said...

Great advice! I need a great character in an interesting situation to get me involved in a book.

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

It's true: writers are different, yet they aren't!

Great answers.

Cher Green said...

Thank you both for your continued support of the series.

clarbojahn said...

It's interesting that my peers thought to engage the reader before the book was done and I thought you meant after. OF course one should try and write to the reader first before the Marketing. In that case I try to have engaging characters. Ones my readers can identify with. Characters are key to reader's engagement. :)

Cher Green said...

Clara, Sorry about the misunderstanding there. I read over your answer, but guess I had a duh moment. :)

 
Blog Directory