Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Voices of Fiction - Traditional or Self-Publication - Part Four

Welcome to Voices of Fiction.

We continue our discussion on publication choice, traditional or self-publication.

Please welcome our authors.

Vicki Batman likes to kick back with a diet Coke and write crazy things for her characters. She has completed three manuscripts, written essays, and sold many short stories. Most days begin with her hands set to the keyboard and thinking "What if??" - Website, Blog, Amazon
Karenna Colcroft is the alter ego of a shy, sedate wife and mother. She has been writing since age five, and dove into erotic romance in 2006. Her first book was published in 2009, and since then she has had over thirty stories published. She lives in the northeastern US with her two children and her real-life romance hero husband. - Website, Facebook, Twitter


Carole Ann Moleti is a nurse-midwife in New York City, thus explaining her fascination with paranormal and urban fantasy. Her newest fiction is featured in Beltane: Ten Tales of Magic. Excerpts of Carole's memoir, Someday I'm Going to Write a Book: Diary of an Urban Missionary has been published most recently in the new, irreverent Not Your Mother's Book Series. - Website, Blog, Twitter


Pembroke Sinclair has had several short stories, novellas, novels, and nonfiction published in various places. She writes an eclectic mix of fantasy, science fiction, horror, some romance, and previously Westerns. - Blog, eTreasures, Amazon



Welcome Authors! It's wonderful to have you back.

What is your publishing method choice: Traditional or Self-Publication? Why?

Vicki Batman - I choose a mix because it's like the stock market--don't put all eggs into one basket. If something no longer works in one area, then being in another one can be advantageous.

Karenna Colcroft - For the most part, I prefer traditional publishing. I'm not very business-minded, so having someone else deal with the paperwork and bookkeeping, as well as supporting me with promo and marketing, is very helpful to me.

Carole Ann Moleti - I am sticking to the traditional publishing method for now. I am not a good editor and can't do my own cover art. Plus, if I had to do all that formatting, uploading, and distribution, I wouldn't have time to write and market my stories.

Pembroke Sinclair - Technically, those two choices don't fit my publishing method. My publisher is an indie publisher, a small house that does both eBooks and the occasional print version. In a way, it's like traditional publishing because the books go through an editing phase and get a cover, but they aren't placed in physical book stores. I prefer this way because no traditional publisher wants me and I don't have the time to self-publish. Either way anyone chooses, though, the most important thing is to get your books in the hands of readers.

Thank you all for joining us today.

Readers and Authors, feel free to ask questions and leave comments concerning this topic in the comment section below. You may also send questions to chergreen@chergreen.com

(Disclaimer - Bios and photos submitted by authors.)

4 comments:

Cherie Reich said...

It's great to learn more about why the authors choose to publish the way they do. That's the nice thing about our options these days. Not one path fits us all. :)

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

Enjoyed the responses. I like the care and attention a publisher supplies too.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I love the stock market analogy. I'm just starting to play around in it myself.

Cher Green said...

Thank you all for stopping by and sharing your thoughts. Glad everyone continues to enjoy the series.

 
Blog Directory